Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student

I thought the idea that the video was trying to portray was one where the teacher became more of a facilitator and a role model than the twentieth century lecturer. Students are empowered to interact with other informed individuals, as well as the internet, to accumulate knowledge about a subject which they can then share on their own personal blog. Students become more in control and responsible for their learning. Of course, many might question the need for a teacher. Obviously, someone needs to be there to oversee that students will learn the content, be able to guide them on their journey when they get stuck, and to help them analyze proper sites to use. That someone would be the teacher!

Before taking this class I would not have felt at all confident in my ability to teach a networked student. However, this class has given me access to many different types of technology that I can use in the classroom as a teacher. I hope to be a good role model for students and to be able to facilitate their creativity. I always find myself wondering how I can incorporate these activities and this technology into a high school math class.

I think it is great that Wendy Drexler is trying to foresee any possible problems that might occur with trying to teach a networked class. It seems like she is prepared and I am sure that she will be successful! I wonder how she will get around the age requirements for many of the web applications. I’m sure it will all work out! Hopefully many other teachers in her school district will become excited about teaching a networked class and end up trying it too!

A 7th Grader’s Personal Learning Environment (or PLE)

Mr. H’s 7th grade student is a great example of someone who seems on top of her schoolwork and who takes full responsibility for her learning. She likes to work independently and she feels that technology is a great resource that she takes advantage of. I thought it was great that she was asking for review from experienced scientists on her work. For my personal learning network (PLN), I intend to find some high school math teachers who have blogs or twitter that I can follow. I would also like to follow a technology blog so I can stay on top of the latest trends. I feel as if my iGoogle page is similar to her personal learning environment. They both allow for quick and easy access to the internet, classes, homework, blogs, etc. When I start my personal learning network, it will be similar to when she asked advice from the experts. We both have to find experts in the field and will benefit from the knowledge gained.

The Machine is Changing Us

Michael Wesch discussed how an individual identifies with himself in relation to the greater community. He discussed how the term “whatever” has changed from the 1980’s to the present, and he talked about the MTV generation. He also had a group of students investigate and research YouTube to see who was making the videos, why they were making the videos, and who their audience was. Michael Wesch felt that today’s generation is looking for their authentic self.

I could relate to many parts of the video. I remember seeing the “Charlie bit me” YouTube video back in high school. I also am familiar with the terms “whatever” and “meh”, and have seen a lot of episodes from The Real World. Although I know about YouTube, I have never uploaded a video. As for my experiences in college, edm310 has broadened my interaction with the greater community as Michael Wesch described, mainly YouTube, blogging, facebook, etc. I have no idea what the future is going to bring. My best guess would be that computers are going to be a must in my teaching career. Students will be more independent learners and we will be using more of the networked educational system. There will also be more communication worldwide.

Earth

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I think you did a great job with this blog post! I felt like I could relate to your thoughts, especially when you said that, before this class, teaching a networked student would have been a bit difficult. I feel the exact same way. This class has tought me so much and given me so much confidence in my interactions with technology that I truly think I will be ready for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Sarah!

    I agree, what Wendy Drexler is doing is a great thing. We are all a part of the evolutionary process of education. Today we have new tools and so we use them to provide students the best education we can. Tomorrow the tools will be new again and we want you to be ready to go with the flow and have the right attitude (like Ms. Drexler) to continue learning and keep your students on the cutting edge of what will give them the best opportunities to succeed.

    Your blog looks great. I like your use of graphics. SS

    ReplyDelete