Saturday, October 9, 2010

Additional Assignment 2

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?/ 2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?

I definitely think that if learners are motivated, they can teach themselves. We saw in the video that children from all around the world were able to learn any number of topics when they didn’t even know how to use technology, and sometimes English.

3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?

I think that everyone, in order to learn, have to have the motivation for it. Although working with others might not be necessary, it certainly helps increase the probability for learning to take place. The students seemed excited to be participating with peers.

4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?

The computers and internet access play a significant role in learning. Students have to have access to information in order to learn about it. Computers also are interesting to many students, and probably the opportunity to them increases student motivation.

5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?

I think if someone has the desire to learn, they are obviously motivated to learn more about something.

6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?

I think that most people, when faced with a problem or question, will try to answer it using problem solving skills.

7. How do you motivate someone to learn?

I think that if you get someone excited about something, it will motivate them to want to learn more about it.

8. How are you motivated to learn?

I am motivated to learn because I have a goal of being a teacher. I want to be a good teacher so it motivates me to learn as much as I can in order to do that. I am also more motivated to learn when teachers make learning fun and when they are excited about what they do.

9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?

I think that anyone who is not motivated can still learn. Maybe they won’t learn as much, or as fast as those who are motivated.

10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?

I do teach myself on a lot of things. I have a math class right now where the teacher doesn’t really “teach”. She just wants to get through the information and move on. This makes me have to read and learn it myself. I read and learn it myself because I want to be a math teacher and if someone isn’t going to help me, then I would still like to be knowledgeable about it. I sometimes like to teach myself other things because I’d like to figure something out on my own instead of asking other people how to do it.

11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?

A teacher plays a huge role in my learning. I like to know that I’m doing things correctly. I like teachers who are very organized because that makes me become clear about what it is I need to do. I like when teachers are on time passing back homework and tests so I can look over my work and understand why I got the grade I did. I also think teachers that take the time to talk to me one-on-one and that allow me to get to know them as a person instead of just a teacher, make it easier and more comfortable to learn.

12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?

I think one important idea I took away from this video was that children work better in groups where they can talk about the answers they have come up with and why. He stated in the video that after he told groups to figure out questions together, and then when he came back two months later and asked them individually if they remembered the information, the score was the same. I also thought that when he left the computer in certain areas, it was neat to see all the children trying to learn stuff on their own.

13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?

I think one main question that was asked in the video was why are there certain areas where teachers don’t want to teach? Perhaps these areas should be identified and then qualified teachers, armed with computers, should be sent to teach there.

No comments:

Post a Comment