Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blog Post 8

Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2

Dr. Richard Miller’s video talked about change that the writing process has gone through. One good example was when he explained how he had a book published that only those who bought it, or borrowed it from a library, could read. Then he said that his book went the way of all books, it went out of print. In contrast, another paper that he wrote and posted on the web was readily available, read by many, and will remain out there for anyone who would like to read it. He also said that he never left his office. He was able to research, compose, and publish right from that same room.

I was fortunate enough to attend a school where I had my own individual laptop computer since junior high. Having one has made me very familiar with multimedia. I know I can type faster than I can write, and I would rather do so. In high school, I was asked to make presentations using the computer and web materials. I realize that there is so much more out there, but I am prepared for it.

I would assume that the students I will be teaching will be very able to write with multimedia. Just watching some of the videos from this class and seeing these children produce such varied projects is amazing. They are only going to be introduced to more exciting things.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies

The primary message in The Chipper Series is that you need to be an independent learner who does their work on time, especially since we are the ones that want to become teachers. Another message might be taking responsibility for your actions. You should get everything you can out your education.

The primary message in EDM310 for Dummies was that with the help of others, anything is possible. Perhaps at the beginning, the class may seem overwhelming. Once you get used to it and understand all of the networking sites, it becomes a lot easier.

After watching these two videos, one possible video topic might be about younger students using lots of different technologies and getting a chance to be creative.

Smartboards

After reading the two critiques of smartboards, I searched for a blog was in favor of them. I came up with http://www.teacherslovesmartboards.com/. One argument against using smartboards is the cost of them. Another argument is that they thought the regular board could do the exact same thing. A third argument was that there was not enough research showing that student learning and achievement would improve with the use of the smartboards. Arguments in favor of smartboards range from more student involvement to peer interaction. This site had categories with lesson plans for every course of study.

Smartboard

2 comments:

  1. I also am a much faster typer than writer. I have also been very fortunate to have had a laptop since high school. It is amazing how much you can do with technology, it amazes me everyday! Mr. Miller doesnt even have to leave his office! I love the smartboard. I think it lets the children be involoved for sure! I do agree that they are very pricy, but they are so fun to have in the classroom! Your blog looks great good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you've had your own laptop in school since junior high. This means that your are a part of the beginning stage of what Dr. Miller is talking about, educational environments that are no longer uni-modal but multi-modal. These environments will not only stimulate the ears or the eyes but will stimulate minds, hearts, and action. This new educational environment will not be about competition but collaboration. Collaboration between peers, teachers, students, and disciplines. The new ways of reading, writing, networking, teaching, and learning is what EDM 310 is all about.

    Nice graphics. Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete