Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blog Post 10

Morgan Bayda

Morgan Bayda, a new teacher in Canada, talked about how education has changed over the past decades. Unfortunately, education has not changed as much as it should. Students still attend a school, receive textbooks, and sit in a class with other students while the teachers impart their knowledge. In order to further emphasize what she was trying to say, she posted a link to a Dan Brown video where he explained how the value of education has dropped. Education on the internet is free to all and he eventually dropped out of school because “school was getting in the way of his education”.

I agree that the educational system has not kept pace with the information age. There seems to be many ways of accessing information and delivering that information to students that could be researched. As a student pursing a teaching career, I hope to incorporate more technology into my classroom. EDM310 has shown students many ways to improve student creativity and help them become more involved in their own learning. I enjoy classes where the teacher interacts with the students and I’m sure that my students will in fact feel the same way.

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life

Daniel Pink’s video asked people to live their lives considering two questions. One being, “What’s my sentence”, and the other being, “Was I better today than yesterday?” I think my sentence would have to be “Help somebody every chance you get”. Every time I help someone, it seems to make them feel better about themselves and that makes me feel better about myself. I always appreciate when people help me. These questions affect me because by thinking of these questions daily, it will keep me on track of who I want to be and what I want to become as a teacher.

Help Somebody Today

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I definitely agree that our educational system has had a hard time keeping up with the technological advancements.
    What kind of technology do you think you will incorporate into your classroom?

    It's great that your goal is to help others, you will definitely find satisfaction being a teacher!
    It was nice reading your blog, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of educational value is a matter of perspective. Dan Brown's video does ignore an important fact about education, the "Degree". When looking at the big picture I think this is pretty valuable. Sure he may do a lot better on his own and more power to him. However, we have an educational system and employers have their requirements and many times (especially for good paying jobs) that is a degree or some kind of proof of higher education. I certainly understand his frustration but I'm not sure abandoning the entire system is going to be productive. Of course, I could be wrong. SS

    ReplyDelete