Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Blog Post 11

Ms. Cassidy, a first grade teacher in Moose Jaw, Canada, began working with technology in her classroom ten years ago when she received five computers. She has encountered tremendous support from the administration, parents, and children in using and working with technology.

She begins working with the first graders when they arrive in September and they become competent with blogs, skype, videos, Nintendo DC, and other activities online. Her approaches teach students to use blogging as a way of improving their writing ability and compiling a portfolio of their work. Students understand the need for making positive comments to others and they enjoyed skyping with other classes. Ms. Cassidy also spoke at length about personal learning networks. She suggested that a person start off with one that they had a particular interest in. For example, if you are interested in photography, try flickr, and if you are interested in writing, try blogging. She also discussed the importance of being technologically literate. Having a PLN is of importance.

I Love Blogging

I can definitely see myself using these types of technology in my classroom. I’m sure that the students will be very familiar with these technologies as they will be older, however, I am sure they there will be plenty of new sites and technologies to learn about before I begin teaching. I do hope that the administration where I work is supportive of technology education just as Ms. Cassidy experienced. That would be one impediment that might be faced. I also hope that parents are supportive with having students work and videos on the web.

Benefits from Ms. Cassidy’s approaches would include increased student writing performance, creativity, imagination, and a more global appreciation.

2 comments:

  1. You may have to push and shove, or just fly under the radar. You understand, however, the importance of doing so! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I so agree that by the time we are in the classroom that technology will change so much by the time we are teachers. I agree that everything those first graders are learning will help as this ever changing world we call education will eventually be all computer based. If that is what the future holds, but as we have read technology is our future. I enjoyed your blog and keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete